Author
Marc
Team Annoy
  • Total Posts : 1230
  • Reward points : 0
2010/04/24 11:26:20 (permalink)

Bruce

Dear forum members,

I regretfully must share some devastating news with you. Bruce, co-founder of AmIAnnoying.com, has passed away. The exact cause is unknown but he passed in his sleep. Bruce was 59 years old.

Some of you might know me as one of the co-founders of this site, but I am also Bruce’s nephew. I was there early yesterday morning at Bruce’s apartment when we discovered that he was gone. He had not logged on to the website or email since April 20th, which is the day we believe he passed away. I am still in disbelief. He was not only my Uncle, but one of my closest friends. He influenced me to always strive to be a better person and to see the world from so many different perspectives. He loved to talk about anything and everything and I always spent hours on the phone with him. He had an amazing gift for making sense of things by stripping out the cloudiness of emotions and steering people into clearer directions of thought. I had so much respect for his level of thinking that I’ve always strived to learn more, do more and talk more about anything.

In Bruce’s personal life, he was born, raised and continued to reside in the Bronx, New York. He has one sister (my mother) who kept him close with my immediate family. His father was from Czestochowa, Poland and mother from the Bronx, New York. Bruce never married and never had any interest in giving up the comforts of single life. He made his primary living doing contract work in the field of market research, which allowed him the freedom and flexibility to work from home during his own hours. He was an avid Howard Stern fan since the early 80’s and listened daily to the full five hour broadcasts while he worked.

As for the social side of Bruce, he had great neighborhood friends. He enjoyed going out to eat and doing his grocery shopping with them. He took pride in how amazing the pizza and bread is in the Bronx and his favorite local spot was Frankie and Johnnie's Pine Tavern Restaurant. He also loved nights out with his friends at TGIF’s and Charlie Browns.

Bruce was a very generous man, as well. I’ve learned of several instances where he loaned friends money to start up businesses or cover critical expenses without ever expecting interest or favors in return, no matter how significant the value was. He was more concerned with the well-being and happiness of his friends and family than anything else in the world. His heart would break if he knew someone was suffering or in trouble. He had such a happy attitude about things that even on a bad day, he could bring a smile to everybody’s faces. He had no interest in harping on the bad times and instead focused on the silver lining in the clouds.

On the night that we discovered of his passing, many of his friends were at his home knocking on his door and calling him from the courtyard just praying for an answer. Sadly, he did not respond. By the time my family arrived, the cops already entered the apartment and confirmed what we all feared to be true.

Bruce passed quietly and in his sleep. He did not suffer and he had no prolonged illnesses that we were aware of.

Bruce loved working on AmIAnnoying.com. What was originally a joke parody website that we planned to only maintain for a month or so, turned into a full time hobby 10 years in the making. Bruce was the driving force behind the prolific growth of the website and all of the daily maintenance. As for the Annoyatorium, he always looked forward to reading your posts and being a part of the conversations. He built so many friendships here and he truly valued them. He often talked about you all to his friends offline, letting them know what his Annoyatorium buddies were saying on the website.

I’m sure you all will have your own memories of Bruce that you would like to share. Keith came up with a great idea to open this area as a tribute to Bruce so that you can share your thoughts and memories of him. Please feel free to use this forum as a memorial to him. Bruce will be deeply missed and his contributions can never be replaced.

With deep sadness,
Marc

In loving memory of Bruce: September 28, 1950 - April 20, 2010
post edited by Marc - 2010/04/24 13:09:16

117 Replies Related Threads

David Seabrook
    AIA Proofreader
    • Total Posts : 16436
    RE: Bruce 2010/04/24 11:33:53 (permalink)
    This is incredibly sad and shocking news. Marc, I'm sorry for the loss of your uncle and your friend. I don't know what else to say...

Don't cry because it's over; smile because it happened.
    crazytrain
    Thug of the Fight Club
    • Total Posts : 6818
    RE: Bruce 2010/04/24 12:05:02 (permalink)
    WOW! This is a shock. Sorry for your loss Marc. Your uncle was an awesome man.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, it's tough to run against Santa Claus."- Rush Limbaugh
    toysintheattic
    Juke Box Hero
    • Total Posts : 4364
    RE: Bruce 2010/04/24 12:17:46 (permalink)
    This is just an absolute shock. He was a great man with a big heart.

RIP Bruce, you will be missed.

"I once choked a chupacabra to death with my own bare hands for not saying grace. Don't ask you will never know what I'm talking about."
    Sir Todd Bridges
    Blossman
    Electoral College Party Boy
    • Total Posts : 6778
    RE: Bruce 2010/04/24 12:41:39 (permalink)
    Wow...Marc, I'm so sorry to hear about this...my heart goes out to you and your family. Together, along with Keith, you guys created a fun, intelligent, and insightful forum. It'll never be the same without Bruce. God bless.
    ash5667
    Pleasant
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Bruce 2010/04/24 13:05:29 (permalink)
    So sad to hear to hear your gone Bruce. Your website gave me so much in terms of my passion for the internet, and as a long time visitor and profile writer for amiannoying. Thank You so much for what you did, you will be missed by all of amiannoying's fans.
    black_chic
    Hot, Real Hot
    • Total Posts : 6504
    RE: Bruce 2010/04/24 13:17:27 (permalink)
    I considered Bruce to be a TRUE cyberfriend! I'm too devastated right now to write more!!

And yet it moves!
    Scar Tactics
    Scarred To Death
    • Total Posts : 37128
    RE: Bruce 2010/04/24 13:30:41 (permalink)
    Marc,

My heart is broken and my mind numb over this tragedy, and I am grief-stricken for you, Keith, your mom, and all the friends he's made over the course of his 59+ years of life.

Bruce was obviously one of a kind, and he made me feel welcome here in the Annoyatorium.

I PMed him on Thursday to see if a collection idea I had would be OK with him, but it usually takes days for him to respond becuase of his busy schedule, so I thought nothing of it. Then I read the gut wrenching news and am completely dumbfounded.

He gave me his blessing a few months back to resurrect the 'Get To Know An Annoyatorium Member Game' and told me it was a great idea, making me feel the honor it was to follow in his footsteps from his brainchild four years ago.

As is part of life, we didn't always agree on everything. I remember having some spirited dialogue with him on mental health issues. However, his input was solid without being condescending, and I've stated more than once that he and Captain Howdy are two of the best debaters I've ever run across, an attribute I admire (and wishing I had such a gift).

We locked horns on the length of my profiles, but he never was angry with me; he was trying his best to give me tips on how to be a better profile writer. Even though I tend to get wordy, I've gotten better because of a simple piece of advice he once gave me - 'not everything is gold.' This resonated with me, because not only is it advice for profile writing, it could be applied to life as well. Since he shared that nugget with me, every time I've faced a disappointment in life, I would reflect back on the statement and somehow it got better quicker for me.

Whenever I PMed him to request a new collection number for my profiles after the previous one reached 100, he always gave me a new number with the added 'good work' or 'well done.' This may not seem like much to some people, but it meant a great deal to me that he took the time to tell me my efforts mattered.

I am certainly not ashamed to tell you I got misty when I read about Bruce's passing, and when Scar Tactette asked me what was wrong, I told her, She knows what this forum means to me and could understand why I would be upset - I've lost what I consider to be a noble and caring cyberfriend.

Perhaps I can share more later, but now I need to get away from the PC for awhile and kinda reflect on living life as best I can, because tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Bruce, you are irreplaceable. Wherever your spirit lies - be at peace, have a great time and know here on this Earth you were loved, admired and appreciated.

Scar Tactics
    Jack Magic
    Pain in the Ass
    • Total Posts : 4722
    RE: Bruce 2010/04/24 14:16:29 (permalink)
    I'm too sad to really say a whole lot write now, but I am truly in shock and disbelief. I will miss Bruce's authority as well as his annual personal most and least annoying lists. I will also never forget his giving me a second chance to come back to the annoyatorium when I did a majore screw up a couple years ago. R.I.P. =(

YOU TEARING ME APART LISA!
    battyx3
    Butt YX3
    • Total Posts : 3766
    RE: Bruce 2010/04/24 15:05:27 (permalink)

I am absolutely heart broken. Rest in Peace, Bruce.

YOU CAN CALL ME BATTY-LICIOUS!!!

In every grade school class, there was a kid who picked his nose like no one was watching. Mine was Dennis...who was yours?
    devil doll
    AIA Proofreader
    • Total Posts : 6186
    RE: Bruce 2010/04/24 15:22:31 (permalink)
    Marc, I'm terribly sorry for your loss.  I'm in shock right now and will write more when I can focus my thoughts better.  For now I'll just say Bruce was a fine man and one whom I considered a friend even though I only knew him online.  My thoughts are with his family.

He says the sun came out last night. He says it sang to him.--Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    Cool It
    Red, White and Canadian
    • Total Posts : 9304
    RE: Bruce 2010/04/24 15:51:13 (permalink)
    Only one thing to do now:

I'M BACK!

“Just when you’re beginning to be bored by what you’ve done is when it’s beginning to be noticed by your audience.” —  Frank Stanton, overruling William Golden's attempt to design a new ident for the Columbia Broadcasting System.
    DHirschp
    Mr. Playboy
    • Total Posts : 42084
    RE: Bruce 2010/04/24 15:54:38 (permalink)
    Marc, my condolences to your Uncle Bruce.  He was a great guy and a great friend. RIP Bruce

If we don't shoot for the impossible life is not worth living.

"Clothes make the man."-Burton Guster
    Neo NX2004
    The Rule Keeper
    • Total Posts : 7218
    RE: Bruce 2010/04/24 16:21:22 (permalink)
    Marc, I'm really sorry for your loss. Bruce was an awesome man and good friend. This one of the sad and shocking news I have heard. R.I.P. =(
    Nixxx
    Not Finished! Finnish!
    • Total Posts : 1253
    RE: Bruce 2010/04/24 17:32:52 (permalink)
    I've been staring at the empty reply-form for 15 minutes now.
    There are no words. This is so sad.

Every single verse can make it that much worse
    Hoxy
    Hoosier Hoops Guru
    • Total Posts : 7841
    RE: Bruce 2010/04/24 18:05:50 (permalink)
    I am just stunned beyond words.  There were a lot of good memories involving Bruce on this forum.  My thoughts and prayers will definitely be with his family.  RIP Bruce

Annoyatorium NFL Picks Game 2014:  http://www.annoyatorium.com/tm.aspx?m=408536
    Scar Tactics
    Scarred To Death
    RE: Bruce 2010/04/24 19:02:43 (permalink)
    In honor of AIA co-founder Bruce Goldman:

Shower the People - James Taylor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tydSHv9ak8E

Cool It
    Red, White and Canadian
    • Total Posts : 9304
    RE: Bruce 2010/04/24 19:10:32 (permalink)
    We mustn't let the Annoyatorium die with him.  That's the single greatest injustice possible to his memory.

I'M BACK!

“Just when you’re beginning to be bored by what you’ve done is when it’s beginning to be noticed by your audience.” —  Frank Stanton, overruling William Golden's attempt to design a new ident for the Columbia Broadcasting System.
    David Seabrook
    AIA Proofreader
    • Total Posts : 16436
    RE: Bruce 2010/04/24 19:23:40 (permalink)
    Back in 2005, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer and I was dealing with my own health issues. Bruce took a genuine interest in how I was doing and what I was feeling, and I sincerely appreciated his concern. 4 1/2 years later, he still often asked for updates on how my mom was doing. I found it almost easier to talk to him (and other forum friends) than 'real life' friends because communicating via PM allowed me to put all of my thoughts into writing, which was therapeutic. I learned some interesting things about his life throughout the course of our conversation, and one thing is for sure, he certainly didn't have a boring life.

Don't cry because it's over; smile because it happened.
    Scar Tactics
    Scarred To Death
    RE: Bruce 2010/04/24 19:33:26 (permalink)
    Yep, Sea Diva, Bruce was many things, but boring was NEVER one of them.

Incidentally, I believe this is his final prolife entry:  http://aia.li/28716

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.6