Cranky
  • Total Posts : 47
  • Reward points : 0
2006/02/24 17:28:14 (permalink)

New Hampshire bill aims to prevent Katrina-style gun seizures

Another piece of New Hampshire news I'd like to get the Annoyatorium take on:

January 2, 2006
Concord, N.H.

Concerned by perceived abuses of Federal power during the Katrina crisis, New Hampshire state reps are reviewing a bill which would criminalize certain weapons seizures - even if the perpetrators are Federal officers.  House Bill 1639-FN, prohibits the confiscation of lawfully owned and lawfully carried firearms during a state of emergency, making a felon of any law enforcement officer who attempts to seize such a firearm during a disaster.

The bill was sponsored by Rep. Paul Hopfgarten at the request of local Free Staters - members of a group trying to recruit freedom lovers to New Hampshire and turn it into an even more libertarian state than it already is (www.freestateproject.org).

The bill reads:   "Any law enforcement officer, person acting as a law enforcement officer, or other public official who confiscates or attempts to confiscate lawfully carried or lawfully owned firearms in this state during a declared state of emergency
shall be charged with a class A felony."

In the chaos following Hurricane Katrina, various government agencies - including Federal Marshalls - made systematic
attempts to sweep New Orleans of guns - even if that meant entering the homes of law abiding gun owners.  The move did not cause widespread outrage in most states.  But New Hampshire residents reacted by burning a FEMA flag in front of a local Federal building.  They also circulated a petition pledging resistance if such a move were ever attempted in the "Live Free or Die" state....a place where guns are part of the culture and gun laws are the second-loosest in the nation.   

Activists say whether it passes or not, this "Gun Protection Bill" is one more small thing they can do to try and protect themselves from disarmament at the hands of any government, during a time when they believe they will need their weapons most.

Bill text:  http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2006/hb1639.html
Information regarding the date and time of the bill hearing:
http://forum.soulawakenings.com/index.php?topic=2550.0
Media coverage of FEMA flag burn:
http://www.cmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050922/REPOSITORY/509220363/1001/NEWS01

Liberty in Your Lifetime
www.freestateproject.org

3 Replies Related Threads

Vice Prez Cheney
    Nusiance
    • Total Posts : 180
    RE: New Hampshire bill aims to prevent Katrina-style gun seizures 2006/02/25 19:44:04 (permalink)
    It is good to have a weapon in your house because you just never know when you may desperately need one.
    Dada Orwell
    Cranky
    RE: New Hampshire bill aims to prevent Katrina-style gun seizures 2006/02/26 20:06:59 (permalink)
    Here's the latest:  The House Committee hearing the bill has voted 13-5 to recommend that the bill not pass.

However it must still go before the full House on March 7, where such recommendations are sometimes overturned.

Primarily this "no" vote stems from concerns that this would have a chilling affect on a policeman's ability to briefly secure a weapon from a person while trying to determine whether it is "lawfully borne."  An amended version may come into play next year that addresses this concern, and in the meantime I understand several other state legislatures have initiated copycat legislation, or at least legislation that is similar.  We'll see how these do.  It's a start!  

More details are on the NHfree.com forums:

http://forum.soulawakenings.com/index.php?topic=2550.0

Liberty in Your Lifetime
    www.freestateproject.org
    Dada Orwell
    Cranky
    RE: New Hampshire bill aims to prevent Katrina-style gun seizures 2006/08/24 19:05:15 (permalink)
    Update:

New Hampshire's wep-seizure-prevention-bill-become-law went into effect last month.

On a related note I got one of the Fed Marshalls on the phone who was in New Orleans, but based here in NH.   His name is Gary Dimartino, although I may have the spelling wrong.  He is a supervisor. Asked him about the wep seizures and specifically the article below.

I told him that I appreciated his return of my phone call and that I knew there were probably many good things that he had done over the last months which I know nothing about, and that I realize there is some unfairness in the fact that I only call to complain, but that I appreciate whatever good he may have done.

I told him I felt New Orleans was an example of a bad thing, and he got kind of excited and said "we did a lot of good things there," he said there might be other things the weren't good but NO was not one of them.   I went a week without sleep, he said.  I told him I believed him, but that mixed in with the good was some bad stuff.  I mentioned to him the sept. 8 2005 washington post article at

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/08/AR2005090802089.html

regarding a bar owner in the dry part of NO who had prepared well and had a generator, and an open bar:

"But on Wednesday night, Guidos said, armed federal agents identifying themselves as U.S. marshals confiscated her weapons and ordered her and six friends to leave by noon Thursday.

'When you get 15 M-16s pointed at you and they line you up against the wall, it's kind of scary,' said Guidos, 55."

He denied knowledge of this.  I asked him to do whatever was in his power to keep this kind of thing from happening twice.

Liberty in Your Lifetime
    www.freestateproject.org
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.6