Author
keith
Team Annoy
  • Total Posts : 66
  • Reward points : 0
2019/12/29 16:08:55 (permalink)

New Forum Preview and Server Move

New Forum Preview

There are a few other things going on behind the scenes in respect to AmIAnnoying.com upgrades. I'll announce them when they are ready, but I do want to share a link to a demo of new forum software that I hope to migrate the Annoyatorium in the near future.

It's a new platform (www.discourse.org) with lots of modern features. I put a temp/test playground so you can give it a try: https://beta.annoyatorium.com/ (*note: all content added to the beta.annoyatorium.com will be deleted. it's just up for people to play with as a proof of concept)

The forum migration goal would be to migrate all current accounts, categories/forums sections, but not the old content. It’s unfortunately just too hard to migrate the content, but I would leave the old forum up in read-only mode.  

Please give it a try and let me know what you think!

The new forum will be a huge improvement. It’s got really good mobile and e-mail support. Lots of pretty incredible features (https://www.discourse.org/features) and options with it. It will be an adjustment, but I'm hopeful people like it.

New Server (again!)
I'm sure most noticed, but June's migration to a new server did not go very well. In an effort to simplify the site set up and reduce costs, I moved the site and forum to the Azure Cloud. Unfortunately, there were tons of speed issues after the migration. I've made some changes today which should result in a significant improvement. The forum is still using https for better security and taking advantage of CloudFlare for speed and protection, but it's on new hardware in a datacenter in NJ like it originally. All should be *a lot better*.

Questions, thoughts, concerns, etc, let me know.

-Keith
Team Annoy

3 Replies Related Threads

Locked Out
    Nusiance
    • Total Posts : 289
    Re: New Forum Preview and Server Move 2019/12/31 16:27:54 (permalink)
    It's going to be P.U. this early on; some of us have lost our original accounts here and were forced to re-register under new handles.  On the other hand, a 10-character password is sure to be a hit.
    keith
    Team Annoy
    • Total Posts : 66
    Re: New Forum Preview and Server Move 2020/01/01 21:13:15 (permalink)
    Locked Out
    It's going to be P.U. this early on; some of us have lost our original accounts here and were forced to re-register under new handles.  On the other hand, a 10-character password is sure to be a hit.

I'm not sure what you mean by it's going to be P.U.. What exactly does that mean?

As long as you have a valid e-mail address associated with an account, you should be able to restore it on the new forum. I can likely modify the 10-character password requirement if that's an issue, but an advantage of the new forum would be using existing accounts to login (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Google).

-Keith

-Keith
    Co-Founder of the AmIAnnoying.com
    Locked Out
    Nusiance
    • Total Posts : 289
    Re: New Forum Preview and Server Move 2020/01/02 09:37:40 (permalink)
    keith
    Locked Out

I'm not sure what you mean by it's going to be P.U.. What exactly does that mean?

As long as you have a valid e-mail address associated with an account, you should be able to restore it on the new forum. I can likely modify the 10-character password requirement if that's an issue, but an advantage of the new forum would be using existing accounts to login (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Google).

-Keith

P.U.: smelly.

Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.6