Hot!Your list of White Hispanics has blatant errors.

Author
kittencat
Nusiance
  • Total Posts : 395
  • Reward points : 0
2020/04/03 17:50:44 (permalink)

Your list of White Hispanics has blatant errors.

As a Latina, I appreciate this site acknowledging the existence of Criollos or white Latin Americans but some of the people in this list wouldn't be considered white in Latin America. The examples I could tell were incorrectly listed were Los Prisioneros, Rosario Dawson, Jessica Alba, Rodner Figueroa (his father is black), and Julio César Chavez (I hope it wasn't the Yaqui Scholar that included Chavez in this list, I expect better from him) all of the people I mentioned are mixed race. 

My breath smells like cat food.

4 Replies Related Threads

SmokeGetsInYourEyes
    Pest
    • Total Posts : 537
    Re: Your list of White Hispanics has blatant errors. 2020/04/04 20:10:31 (permalink)
    Hi not sure if I'm the Yaqui scholar you were referring to (if so I'm flattered); I did both the Julio Cesar Chavez and Rodner Figueroa profiles way back five years ago in 2015 - and what's interesting is that as I recall at the time the 'White Hispanics' collection was originally titled 'Mestizos [White Hispanics].' As I understand somewhere along the way the change was made to 'Criollos' because of it being the proper term usage, whereas Mestizos are most often a mix of Spanish, Black, and Indigenous - which I'm thinking would have been correct to assign to both Figueroa (whose father's race I remember came up at the time of the Michelle Obama flap when I did the profile) and Chavez. Being a Colombian-American of Mestizo descent myself, I know for a fact that we are often lumped into that grouping of 'white Hispanics' (I myself would even probably identify as 'culturally white' although I am not Anglo-Saxon or Caucasian) and so I do confess the lines are sometimes blurred a little. I could probably just submit them in for the deletions, though  

kittencat
    Nusiance
    Re: Your list of White Hispanics has blatant errors. 2020/04/04 20:41:11 (permalink)
    The Yaqui Scholar = BoyWiththeGreenHair because he's from Sonora, Mexico; if I'm not mistaken. Anyone can tell from looking at him that Julio Cesar Chavez is mestizo.
    post edited by kittencat - 2020/04/04 20:43:33

kittencat
    Nusiance
    Re: Your list of White Hispanics has blatant errors. 2020/04/04 20:46:56 (permalink)
    More accurate examples of Criollos (white Hispanics) who are not included in the list are Luis Miguel, Pope Francis, Don Francisco, Kat Von D and the majority of Latin American politicians.
    post edited by kittencat - 2020/04/04 21:03:29

SmokeGetsInYourEyes
    Pest
    • Total Posts : 537
    Re: Your list of White Hispanics has blatant errors. 2020/04/04 21:38:20 (permalink)
    Yeah, I'm BoyWiththeGreenHair - I was unable to get back into that profile for some reason and had to create a new profile with a new screen name. For a second there I wondered how you knew I had family ties in Sonora! I had forgotten it was on the old profile and then I remembered this 
    https://www.annoyatorium.com/tm.aspx?m=413844
    (although truthfully I'm embarrassed at the profile's quality now and would have done it much differently today)

Looking further into the topic I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the subject in the original post -
    https://www.annoyatorium.com/tm.aspx?m=340617
    It is refreshing to read a layered take on the subject, I find it very frustrating to see how Hispanics are often treated as a monolithic bloc and a single race as opposed to the ethnically diverse group (with a very complex ancestral history) that we are

I'll make it a point to submit the profile IDs of Chavez and Figueroa (which were originally submitted as Mestizos before it was changed to Criollo) for deletion as well as to submit the IDs for Pope Francis and the others to be added to the list
    post edited by SmokeGetsInYourEyes - 2020/04/04 21:39:24
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.6