Hot!COVID-19

Author
ldopas
I Gots People Skills
  • Total Posts : 4576
  • Reward points : 0
2020/04/07 05:25:08 (permalink)

COVID-19

Seeing how I've been posting on this site for 18 years....18 years, might be 19 lost count.

I thought I would post something on one of the existential threats we have faced in all that time, for posterity, for future Annoyatorium contributors.

As I write 75,294 world deaths from this killer virus. Certainly in the UK we are in lock down, most of Europe is and from what I read the US as well. 

Our economies are being shattered as we sit in "lock down". Unemployment is rocketing, some say 20% in the US. Trillions of dollars being promised to shore it up. Who will pay this back, who knows? Lordy know how smaller economies will survive at all.

And currently we have our Prime Minister in intensive care with the virus.

So that is my first post. A kind of diary entry for posterity. What will we be seeing next week? Who knows? What will we be looking back on in 5 years? Again, uncertain.

Certainly society and the world may have changed for ever.

Keep safe, keep healthy!

10 Replies Related Threads

Locked Out
    Nusiance
    • Total Posts : 318
    Re: COVID-19 2020/04/07 09:54:00 (permalink)
    At least your Prime Minister is showing a deep concern for the nation he presides over.  Our Prime Minister is delighted at the development; he's using it as a cover to continue his singleminded agenda of a United Nations seat.
    Hoxy
    Hoosier Hoops Guru
    • Total Posts : 11130
    Re: COVID-19 2020/04/07 17:13:21 (permalink)
    Good to hear from you, ldo.  There's lockdowns in the States as well, though the strictness depends on the state.  One state (Wisconsin) actually is holding elections today, which is ridiculous.  And I work for my state's unemployment office, so you can imagine how crazy it is handling the major increase in unemployment claims and implementing the new COVID policies.  Though it's much more a burden for all those dealing with unemployment and those who own a business.  

I agree that the world has changed forever, but I'm hoping a light at the end of the tunnel eventually.  Sorry to hear about your prime minister.  You take care, and I hope you remain safe and healthy as well!
    ddrive
    Pain in the Ass
    • Total Posts : 14637
    Re: COVID-19 2020/04/07 21:23:46 (permalink)
    We are on lockdown till at least April 30.  I am getting antsy being contained in one place.
    ldopas
    I Gots People Skills
    Re: COVID-19 2020/04/09 08:40:31 (permalink)
    Locked Out
    At least your Prime Minister is showing a deep concern for the nation he presides over.  Our Prime Minister is delighted at the development; he's using it as a cover to continue his singleminded agenda of a United Nations seat.

Well that is true and there have been many people wishing him well.Like this one for example from nurses;

He comes across as a buffoon, but is actually Oxford University educated and is massively clever. Many people, including me, like his knockabout charisma. But so far his approval ratings are fairly high during this crisis.

But unfortunately the death toll rises, hopefully it is stabilizing.
    ldopas
    I Gots People Skills
    Re: COVID-19 2020/04/09 08:43:36 (permalink)
    Locked Out

Oh and remind me...which country are you in? What tactic is your country doing. It seems to be everything from full military lockdown (China), to semi-lockdown (UK) to the tactic of business as usual or "herd immunity" which Sweden is going for.
    ldopas
    I Gots People Skills
    Re: COVID-19 2020/04/09 08:49:52 (permalink)
    Hoxy
    Good to hear from you, ldo.  There's lockdowns in the States as well, though the strictness depends on the state.  One state (Wisconsin) actually is holding elections today, which is ridiculous.  And I work for my state's unemployment office, so you can imagine how crazy it is handling the major increase in unemployment claims and implementing the new COVID policies.  Though it's much more a burden for all those dealing with unemployment and those who own a business.  

I agree that the world has changed forever, but I'm hoping a light at the end of the tunnel eventually.  Sorry to hear about your prime minister.  You take care, and I hope you remain safe and healthy as well!

Hello again Hoxy.

Yep that does sound ridiculous unless it is an online voted election. Are there restrictions from moving state to state if each state does its own thing? Can you still fly across the states? Is the mass testing going on there?

Seems New York is in Covid 19 meltdown at the moment and if I was there I might be tempted to get my family in a car and drive to another state. What if that starts happening?

These lock downs are very very tricky for democracies like ours. Trump did say something relevant here that is quoted in our press. "The cure cannot be worse than the disease". That is actually quite intelligent. As we sit in lock down, the longer it goes on our economies are being destroyed, with the likelihood of much more unemployment, health issues and in the long term many more dying from the virus. Its very difficult to know the direction to go in.

And the same to you. Stay safe, stay frosty!
    post edited by ldopas - 2020/04/09 08:59:27
    ldopas
    I Gots People Skills
    Re: COVID-19 2020/04/09 08:54:59 (permalink)
    ddrive
    We are on lockdown till at least April 30.  I am getting antsy being contained in one place.

Well they say they are reviewing our lock down here today. We expect to hear that it will go on for another 3 weeks. For my business, I've budgeted that we won't be out of lock down till June.

But one of the issues with lock down you illustrate in your post. People will get pissed off, especially people like me who cannot keep my business on hold indefinitely. But the sun is out here (hey rare for the UK!!) and it is hot so it is difficult. I'm lucky I have a pretty decently sized garden and plenty of things to do when I'm not working. But ultimately like you, I want to go out and do stuff.

My worry is that all we are doing though in lock down is smoothing out the line of cases and deaths, the only way to stop this is by a vaccine or herd immunity where 80% of the world population have had it and immunity is built up in humanity. THAT is what stopped the Black Death and the 1918 Pandemic that killed 50 million people.

Stay safe!
    toysintheattic
    Juke Box Hero
    • Total Posts : 7881
    Re: COVID-19 2020/04/10 16:28:12 (permalink)
    I am one of the few employees at my office that is required to be in for a little bit every weekday. We are on strict time schedules to try to limit the number of people inside the building at any given time.

Stay safe everyone.

"I once choked a chupacabra to death with my own bare hands for not saying grace. Don't ask you will never know what I'm talking about."
    Sir Todd Bridges
    David Seabrook
    AIA Proofreader
    • Total Posts : 17099
    Re: COVID-19 2020/04/11 12:26:01 (permalink)
    Hey, ldopas!  Great to hear from you!

Colorado has been under a shelter in place order for the past 2 1/2 weeks.  Prior to that, the governor had ordered all restaurants (dining areas), bars, hair salons/barbershops, gyms, recreation centers, tattoo parlors, etc. closed through April 30.  I work for a non-profit agency which has remained open, with modified services.  Our building has been closed to the public since March 16, but, we do a pre-packed food distribution in our parking lot each week day.  I helped with the food distribution the first week or so, but the last couple of weeks, I've mostly been in my office working on utility and rental assistance (normal parts of my job).  The agency providing us utility assistance funding, and the county providing us rental assistance funding, have eased their documentation and eligibility requirements so that we can complete applications and collect documentation over the phone, or through email, in the absence of in-person appointments.

As far as shelter in place orders (and lack thereof, in some states), I think citizens of the US (and perhaps Europe) value their individual freedoms, and don't care much for anyone, especially the government, telling them what to do.  Some other countries will resort to the usage of military and law enforcement to ensure obedience.  While not impossible in the US, it's hard to envision military and law enforcement patrolling American streets, forcefully cracking down on any citizens violating any shelter in place orders.  

As Hoxy mentioned, one of the US states recently held a primary.  The governor of the state wanted to delay the primary to a later date, or expand options to vote by mail - but - the state legislature is controlled by the opposing party, and they refused to give in.  Ultimately, the Supreme Court decided the primary would go on as planned.  Yes, everything in our country is that political.  The images coming from the primary that day were upsetting to many, but in an election year, health and safety of the public will sadly take a backseat to political jockeying.  With the presidential election currently set for November, there's a renewed push for voters across the country to have more options to vote by mail - and this push is being fought by the president and his allies (despite the fact the president, himself, votes by mail).  I'm fortunate to live in a state which supports voting by mail, and I've been on a permanent vote-by-mail list for several years.

One of things frustrating some Americans, I think, is that the timetable for returning to some degree of "normalcy" keeps getting pushed back.  For example, in Colorado, the shelter in place measures are reportedly working, which has slowed the spread so that hospitals aren't as overwhelmed as they are in New York, and the expected plateau has been pushed back to the middle of May.  Well, if people have in mind that the shelter in place order is supposed to end April 30, and all "non essential" business are to open back up, and that gets pushed back because the peak of cases has been pushed back - people get angry.  Medical experts say we might not return to "normal" - and freedoms we enjoyed before might not be an option in the future.

Certainly, trying to balance a global pandemic creating many localized public health crises with not allowing the economy to completely collapse (more than it already has) is an unenviable task.  I heard a report this morning that one of two things would need to happen in order for some degree of normalcy to return.  One, 50% of the world's population would need to have had the virus and developed an immunity to help control the public spread (which, they say, would cause a humanitarian crisis and result in widespread death), or, a safe vaccine needs to be developed in order to inoculate people.  A vaccine could be 1 to 2 years off, and enough would need to be created for a global population.  How would global economies survive another year of what some refer to as "draconian" measures?

Seems lose-lose to me (and normally, I'm not pessimistic).  Anyhow, I hope you all stay healthy and safe!

Don't cry because it's over; smile because it happened.
    Locked Out
    Nusiance
    • Total Posts : 318
    Re: COVID-19 2020/04/11 16:50:43 (permalink)
    ldopas
    Locked Out

Oh and remind me...which country are you in? What tactic is your country doing. It seems to be everything from full military lockdown (China), to semi-lockdown (UK) to the tactic of business as usual or "herd immunity" which Sweden is going for.

Canada.  Justin Trudeau waited a month or two instead of acting almost immediately.  He's letting arrivals from hot-spot nations (especially China and Islamic) pass through our borders with no checks or balances whatsoever.  Meanwhile, our federal forces act as the migrants' bellhops and all but put them up free of charge in four- and five-star accommodations.  When he goes outside to do his daily briefings, it's in suit and tie and can be summed up as his usual gobbledygook talking points.  One of last week's National Post editions showed the ghost towns that were eight different major cities (except in the Atlantic time zone); we think the establishment mainstream media had a fair bit to do with that.
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.6