Helpful ReplyHot!New AIA layout: are you SHITTING me??!!

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Locked Out
Pest
  • Total Posts : 569
  • Reward points : 0
2022/01/22 14:31:15 (permalink)

New AIA layout: are you SHITTING me??!!

When you have a page layout that's worked to perfection for about 20 years, the worst thing in the world anyone can do is take the exact approaches Coca-Cola and Gap took.  At least both companies learned from their mistake in record time and quickly reverted.  (More about Coke's folly.)  Having the profile picture on the right-hand side of the page and the resume wrapped around it on the left was a real space-saver (to say nothing of the lack of text boxes).  Besides, who saw anything wrong with having Verdana (which we use here) around?

#MakeAmericaGreatAgain
kittencat
Pest
  • Total Posts : 528
Re: New AIA layout: are you SHITTING me??!! 2022/01/22 14:43:38 (permalink)
The new layout is an eyesore.

My breath smells like cat food.
keith
Team Annoy
  • Total Posts : 81
Re: New AIA layout: are you SHITTING me??!! 2022/01/22 14:43:58 (permalink)
Sorry you find the new layout annoying.

The old code was 15 years old! It looked like garbage on mobile devices and tablets and was practically unusable on those platforms. 

Feel free to share issues and suggestions on the new look.

-Keith
Co-Founder of the AmIAnnoying.com
keith
Team Annoy
Re: New AIA layout: are you SHITTING me??!! 2022/01/22 14:44:46 (permalink)
kittencatThe new layout is an eyesore.

Can you provide more details on why you think that's the case?

-Keith
SmokeGetsInYourEyes
Pain in the Ass
  • Total Posts : 1226
Re: New AIA layout: are you SHITTING me??!! 2022/01/22 16:17:18 (permalink)
I don't necessarily mind the pics themselves now being more 'to scale.' But, if I had to name one thing, it would probably be that the font, in the center (Most Recent Entries is what I'm referring to) is too large that it becomes distracting. And, actually, the 'In the News' (left) and the New Collections (right) appear to have the opposite problem where the font is comparatively too small. That problem is probably most evident in the 'Years in Review: 2001 - 2021' page, where the different sized fonts clash in a way that is a little unsightly and jarring. Maybe just an adjustment to the font sizes so that they are more compatible and consistent?

post edited by SmokeGetsInYourEyes - 2022/01/22 17:36:31
Locked Out
Pest
Re: New AIA layout: are you SHITTING me??!! 2022/01/22 18:21:11 (permalink)
Looking at the collection pages, the name of the profile was in boldface (which worked), and the profile pictures were manageably sized.  Scrolling was boatloads easier, since you could get the best of several worlds in your search (mainly, roughly four thumbnails in a window sized to a cascade).  Each Profile in the News had its own cell, which minimized the time needed for the eye and brain to coordinate their response.  And searching for a profile (with an already available space in the corner) could not have been simpler.
post edited by Locked Out - 2022/01/22 18:35:51

#MakeAmericaGreatAgain
SmokeGetsInYourEyes
Pain in the Ass
  • Total Posts : 1226
Re: New AIA layout: are you SHITTING me??!! 2022/01/22 19:06:28 (permalink)
Locked Out
Looking at the collection pages, the name of the profile was in boldface (which worked), and the profile pictures were manageably sized.  Scrolling was boatloads easier, since you could get the best of several worlds in your search (mainly, roughly four thumbnails in a window sized to a cascade).  Each Profile in the News had its own cell, which minimized the time needed for the eye and brain to coordinate their response.  And searching for a profile (with an already available space in the corner) could not have been simpler.

Co-signed
battyx3
Butt YX3
  • Total Posts : 3872
Re: New AIA layout: are you SHITTING me??!! 2022/01/22 19:53:22 (permalink)
OMGWTFBBQ!!!!! Jesus Titty Fucking CHRIST!!!

YOU CAN CALL ME BATTY-LICIOUS!!!

In every grade school class, there was a kid who picked his nose like no one was watching. Mine was Dennis...who was yours?
C. Fishel
Pain in the Ass
  • Total Posts : 3756
Re: New AIA layout: are you SHITTING me??!! 2022/01/22 20:30:56 (permalink)
Robert MItchum Rules
...  the font, in the center (Most Recent Entries is what I'm referring to) is too large that it becomes distracting. And, actually, the 'In the News' (left) and the New Collections (right) appear to have the opposite problem where the font is comparatively too small. That problem is probably most evident in the 'Years in Review: 2001 - 2021' page, where the different sized fonts clash in a way that is a little unsightly and jarring. Maybe just an adjustment to the font sizes so that they are more compatible and consistent?

Seconded

And, if the code's being updated, could we get search results alphabetized?  The current semi-random* order isn't a big deal for shorter results, but for multi-page items like "Smith" and "Jones," if the name you're looking for isn't on the first page, you'll never find it.

(*For some names, 'Search' produces a list ordered by decreasing profile ID. For other names, there doesn't seem to be any pattern at all.)

ADDED: And, for Yahweh's sake, can you get rid of the ads in the middle of the freakin' profiles?!
post edited by C. Fishel - 2022/01/22 20:37:17
Locked Out
Pest
Re: New AIA layout: are you SHITTING me??!! 2022/01/22 21:34:49 (permalink)
battyx3

You missed a few words, girlfriend.

#MakeAmericaGreatAgain
battyx3
Butt YX3
  • Total Posts : 3872
Re: New AIA layout: are you SHITTING me??!! 2022/01/22 22:47:10 (permalink)
Locked Out
battyx3

You missed a few words, girlfriend.

I am too shocked for full words!

YOU CAN CALL ME BATTY-LICIOUS!!!

In every grade school class, there was a kid who picked his nose like no one was watching. Mine was Dennis...who was yours?
kittencat
Pest
Re: New AIA layout: are you SHITTING me??!! 2022/01/23 00:39:30 (permalink)
keith

The new format reminds me of one those FBI Most Wanted profiles. Very cold. This site is supposed to have an amusing element to it.

kittencat
Pest
Re: New AIA layout: are you SHITTING me??!! 2022/01/23 00:42:22 (permalink)
C. Fishel
Robert MItchum Rules
...  the font, in the center (Most Recent Entries is what I'm referring to) is too large that it becomes distracting. And, actually, the 'In the News' (left) and the New Collections (right) appear to have the opposite problem where the font is comparatively too small. That problem is probably most evident in the 'Years in Review: 2001 - 2021' page, where the different sized fonts clash in a way that is a little unsightly and jarring. Maybe just an adjustment to the font sizes so that they are more compatible and consistent?

Seconded

And, if the code's being updated, could we get search results alphabetized?  The current semi-random* order isn't a big deal for shorter results, but for multi-page items like "Smith" and "Jones," if the name you're looking for isn't on the first page, you'll never find it.

(*For some names, 'Search' produces a list ordered by decreasing profile ID. For other names, there doesn't seem to be any pattern at all.)

ADDED: And, for Yahweh's sake, can you get rid of the ads in the middle of the freakin' profiles?!

It's true, certain names were such a hassle to look up because so many people had them. Making it easier to search for popular surnames would have been a far more welcome change. 

Tim the Slipperman 2.0
Cranky
  • Total Posts : 98
Re: New AIA layout: are you SHITTING me??!! 2022/01/23 02:15:38 (permalink)
It's very rare that I agree with Locked Out on something, but in this case they're right.  The new site interface just doesn't look very good compared to the old one.  If the site code is outdated and broken, by all means fix it, but try to keep the site looking as good as it was before, too.
Ricky
Mr. Hockey
  • Total Posts : 3437
Re: New AIA layout: are you SHITTING me??!! 2022/01/23 02:24:17 (permalink)
kittencat
keith

The new format reminds me of one those FBI Most Wanted profiles. Very cold. This site is supposed to have an amusing element to it.

I happen to agree with you on this, it is way too hard to navigate

Canucks rule and Luongo is God!!!
Locked Out
Pest
Re: New AIA layout: are you SHITTING me??!! 2022/01/23 10:08:16 (permalink)
With the layout we're seeing now, the main color is a blend of slate grey and steel blue.  It gives off this skeevy prison vibe and thus lends serious credence to FBI comparisons.

In the old layout, the main color blended between crimson and firebrick: neither too bright nor too drab nor too dramatic.  It was one of those colors we could call our very own.  Even the notoriously fickle Sabrina, with her addiction to bright 80s colors, didn't have a bad word to say about it.

#MakeAmericaGreatAgain
keith
Team Annoy
Re: New AIA layout: are you SHITTING me??!! 2022/01/23 13:23:56 (permalink)
I appreciate the feedback. Just uploaded an updated version. I'm happy to continue to make tweaks. Here's my comments:

But, if I had to name one thing, it would probably be that the font, in the center (Most Recent Entries is what I'm referring to) is too large that it becomes distracting. And, actually, the 'In the News' (left) and the New Collections (right) appear to have the opposite problem where the font is comparatively too small. That problem is probably most evident in the 'Years in Review: 2001 - 2021' page, where the different sized fonts clash in a way that is a little unsightly and jarring. Maybe just an adjustment to the font sizes so that they are more compatible and consistent?

Looking at the collection pages, the name of the profile was in boldface (which worked), and the profile pictures were manageably sized. Scrolling was boatloads easier, since you could get the best of several worlds in your search (mainly, roughly four thumbnails in a window sized to a cascade). Each Profile in the News had its own cell, which minimized the time needed for the eye and brain to coordinate their response.

I'm going to try and to go through the pages and see what I can do on font size cleanup.

And searching for a profile (with an already available space in the corner) could not have been simpler.

What's hard now about it?

And, if the code's being updated, could we get search results alphabetized?
It's true, certain names were such a hassle to look up because so many people had them. Making it easier to search for popular surnames would have been a far more welcome change.

This was weirdly harder than I thought it would be but should be all set now. (The search page format isn't ideal, but I'll fix that shortly.)

Also made the collection search results alphabetized. That was a lot easy.

Done. 

I happen to agree with you on this, it is way too hard to navigate

Can you explain? what platform? Mobile? Desktop? what's hard to find/do?

With the layout we're seeing now, the main color is a blend of slate grey and steel blue. It gives off this skeevy prison vibe and thus lends serious credence to FBI comparisons.
In the old layout, the main color blended between crimson and firebrick: neither too bright nor too drab nor too dramatic. It was one of those colors we could call our very own. Even the notoriously fickle Sabrina, with her addiction to bright 80s colors, didn't have a bad word to say about it.

Here's an old page that's still "live":
https://amiannoying.com/s...ld.aspx?lastname=gates

New look isn't that much different color-wise, but happy to tweak. What sections/colors should be different?

-Keith
keith
Team Annoy
Re: New AIA layout: are you SHITTING me??!! 2022/01/23 13:45:10 (permalink)
Locked Out
Each Profile in the News had its own cell, which minimized the time needed for the eye and brain to coordinate their response.  

Better now? Changed text color and added underline.

-Keith
keith
Team Annoy
Re: New AIA layout: are you SHITTING me??!! 2022/01/23 14:42:16 (permalink)
Another updated version uploaded:
- Fixed search button
- Fixed search page results
- Better scaled fonts

Keep the comments/feedback coming.

Thanks,

-Keith
Locked Out
Pest
Re: New AIA layout: are you SHITTING me??!! 2022/01/23 15:37:04 (permalink)
So far, not too bad.  Still some work to be done.

In the previous model, the text that named the profile would have been the largest in size.  The text for Voting Station would have been one size smaller, with the checkbox text being a size smaller than the Voting Station text.

For the Collection page, the text matching the profile would have been at 4 or 5, while the descriptors would have been in regular text at the 3 or 4.  At this point, I think we went too far one way to too far the other.  You want to preserve as much of the classic text structure (including a revert to black text where you now have that cold FBI color) as the new model can fit.

Also want to reverse the highlighting structure for In the News and Other Recent.
post edited by Locked Out - 2022/01/23 16:01:11

#MakeAmericaGreatAgain
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2022 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.6